You are here: Home Heritage Built Heritage Misericórdia's Church Misericórdia's Church (19th-20th centuries)

Misericórdia's Church (19th-20th centuries)

Throughout the 19th century, the set constituted by the Church and the House of Dispatch, structured as in the previous centuries, did not undergo major works except those which were necessary for its preservation or improvement. Our sources only allow us to know the pieces that were purchased or repaired in this period.

One of the most important documents for the 19th century is an inventory, dated 1806, which refers to the movable heritage that existed in the church and house of dispatch. From its reading, we highlight some pieces. Firstly, the eleven images (statues), six crosses and several silver objects, which although not in a huge number, represented a valuable set for an institution like the Misericórdia. From the inventoried ornaments, the richest was one with purple silk, but we must also mention a group of four flags (regarding the Misericórdia, the Second Order, the burial of the poor and the insignia of the Brotherhood), and seven panels with the Stations of the Cross. Among the non-religious furniture, we want to highlight a large round table in the house of dispatch, covered with green cloth, as it was customary; four chairs bearing the royal arms; and six leather stools. The inventory also allows us to know that, in 1806, there were three confession booths inside the church.

In the 20th century, the greatest work in the building of the Misericórdia was carried out at the end of the century, in an intervention which changed its façade (elimination of two windows) and especially its interior: abolition of the choir and part of the ladder that gave it access; removal of some retables; and a new wooden ceiling that replaced the previous vaulted and plastered ceiling. Apart from these other interventions were made, including the placing of a high altar and a wind guard, both made of chestnut.

CCDRN  ON2  FEDER   CEPESE